Great points, Herb. As is the case with far too many curiosities, I haven't
taken the time to write down all of the instances I feel bombarded with. I'm
going to make a point to do so moving forward though.

I'm fairly certain that the examples I encounter are fairly prototypical
examples of the derivational -ly suffix that changes word function from
adjective to adverb and was, at one time, required for the adverb function.

Here is an example I just heard on the news tonight: "The odds against her
didn't stop young Anna....despite her illness, she talks fast and cheery
about her new school and friends."

And just a bit later on a popular television show: "But do you see how
strange he walks?"

On a student paper in tonight's stack: "Shelley writes mysterious, evoking a
sense of nightmare and vertigo."

My friend said this on the phone tonight: "I'm cautious and drive slow. So
sue me!" (Although you point out that this -ly is considered optional.

Also, isn't there a popular commercial that encourages us to "eat healthy"?