On Jun 9, 2009, at 9:44 AM, Craig Hancock wrote:
> It's a huge, huge stretch to think of Once More to the Lake as an
> argument.

I never said it was an argument.  I said it had a thesis.

> You seem to be equating "thesis" with unity.

Yes, I do.  Writers who have and follow a thesis will have unity.  No
big secret there.

> Your comments about metaphor seem to have no connection to what I have
> said. They are more like architecture, essential to language and
> cognition, not just decorative.

My point about metaphor is that I don't agree with your functional
view of writing v. taste.  I think it is rather pointless to value
one over the other (as you claimed to in the email that started
this).  One could write a good essay without using a single metaphor,
but a carpenter could not build a stable building without squares and
plumbs.  So by your own analogy the metaphor is in the category you
label as decorative.  I don't think you should put it in that
category, but you made up the categories.  I don't think it makes
sense to say I have a functional view of writing therefore I dispense
with taste. There's a reason we call writing an art.  But then what
was your point about taste?

Susan