Patricia,

There are three I’d recommend, depending on the approach you want to take.  Craig Hancock’s Meaning-Centered Grammar (Equinox Publishing (UK) (December 30, 2005)) is well-written, gently paced, and hews pretty closely to what writing students need.  Max Morenberg’s Doing Grammar (Oxford University Press, USA; 3 edition (January 3, 2002)) is a very rigorous, analytic approach that covers a wide range of structures and makes extensive use of  phrase structure trees that the author has augmented in interesting and useful ways.  If you’re looking for such a very analytic approach, I’ve found his very effective.  And then, of course, Martha Kolln’s Rhetorical Grammar (Longman; 5 edition (March 13, 2006)) presents grammar very much from the perspective of rhetoric and does a very good job of it.  I’ve used it effectively especially in grammar workshops for writing teachers.

Herb

From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Patricia A Moody
Sent: 2009-06-03 14:56
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Grammar texts

My apologies, because I distinctly remember this listserv having "been here, done that," yet I persist.  It's time to order texts for the fall, and I seek the advice of my esteemed colleagues.  The course is an upper-level course on history and varieties of English, required of English secondary-ed majors.  I use Crystal's The Stories of English as the main text.  Though grammar should be a separate course, I feel obliged to begin with grammar, and I would like a text that approaches grammar the way the majority of the discussions on this listserv do, as fascinating study of living language.  If my students have been taught grammar at all, they've been taught some diagramming in 5th or 6th grade, and error correction/avoidance.  Can anyone offer suggestions for a text?

Patricia Moody

English Department

Syracuse University