Hi all,

This is what I understand:

  1. The sentence states what “he” assigned for homework (maybe) the first day of class.  (Just stating a fact)

  1. The sentence states that before something (I don’t know what – maybe before the first meeting or day of class), the teacher assigned to evaluate those paragraphs.  It gives me the impression that the task was assigned beforehand. It seems important to indicate that the task was assigned before.

Of course, more information is needed to understand the whole picture.

Best regards,

Ana Cervantes

Lima - Peru