________________________________
From: Brad Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Fri, November 20, 2009 9:52:40 AM
Subject: copy editing

Comrades,

If you can handle this without mentioning the forbidden p.p. words, please consider one or both of these two quotes. Perhaps someone who believes that correction is appropriate for learners (e.g., me) would deal with the quotes as if you were the copy editor preparing the two items for publication.

If you like, put words to be (deleted) in parentheses and underline words to be added.

~~~

I asked Hal if she knew of any Maghreb chefs in the banieues who were specializing in French fare. She said she had recently met a young cook from one of the suburbs who was interested in doing French cuisine, but she couldn't recall his name or where he worked.

~~~

I heard much the same from from a twentysomething PR assistant to Alain Senderens while interviewing the legendary chef in 2006. When I had asked Senderens if he was concerned about the dining habits of French youths, he (had) waved his hands dismissively and assured me there was nothing to worry about; the kids would come around -- they always did.

~~~

.brad.20nov09.