I had originally looked at Rodriguez’s sentence and tried inserting a ‘very’ before ‘unquestioned’ (since that’s a standard trick for distinguishing past participles used as modifiers from those used as part of a passive). When it “failed,” I put the problem down to ‘unquestioned’ being non-gradable, rather than to it being part of a passive. To me, something’s either unquestioned or it’s not, and I can’t do the same thing with “very unquestioned” that I do with “very unique” (for which my meaning is “unique in a very relevant or dramatic way, instead of being the only person in the room with green shoelaces”).  I fully agree it’s adjectival here; I just thought the sentence pointed out one of the weaknesses of the “very test.”

Then I tried checking with Google for examples of “very unquestioned” since I’m dubious about native-speaker intuitions, even when they’re mine (or especially when they’re mine). There are about 245 examples. That’s a pretty tiny set by internet standards, but small and zero aren’t the same (and while there were some examples from non-native English-speakers, that didn’t appear to account for all, or even most, of the cases).

Bill Spruiell

From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of STAHLKE, HERBERT F
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2010 2:47 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Pullum on Strunk and White and a question about a passive

To add to Craig’s explanation, when “un-“ is added to adjectives, it negates, as in “unwise,” “unsure,” etc., but when prefixed to a verb it is reversive, as in “undo,” “untie,” etc.  Here it’s clearly negative, not reversive, morphological evidence that “unquestioned” is an adjective in this sentence, and I agree with Linda as to what it must mean.

Herb

From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar