From: David Kehe <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Fri, September 3, 2010 3:46:24 PM
Subject: intrinsic motivation for studying grammar

I imagine that most of us on this listserv have an intrinsic interest in studying grammar.  In other words, we study it just for the joy of it.  But why?  Is it in our DNA to find grammar so interesting?  Did someone, for example, a former teacher, do something that instilled in us this interest?

I would be interested to hear from any of you why you like grammar so much and/or how you came to like it.  It seems that if we could figure out what makes it so interesting to some, we might be able to come up with ways that we could help our students develop an intrinsic motivation for studying it too.

Thanks,

David Kehe
Bellingham, WA