From: R. Michael Medley (ck) <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: September 27, 2010
Subject: explicit literacy instruction

I think that systemic functional grammar has the potential for guiding teachers to work with authentic texts, and that's why I am a fan of Coffin, Donohue and North's EXPLORING ENGLISH GRAMMAR. They provide a
healthy role model for how to examine grammar in the context of authentic texts.

R. Michael Medley, Ph.D.
Professor of English
Eastern Mennonite University