From: John Chorazy <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Noun clauses
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 17:20:44 +0000

Hello to all... I've been talking with students (11th grade) about clauses and have collected some questions that the list might have some thoughts on.
The use of "that" as the head of a noun clause (and subject): "That the healthcare system needs fixing is obvious."
"That" used in an adjective phrase: "Unlike the cat that slept all day, the dog ran around and barked."
And if we can get some insight to the following use of "that": "Lynn Margulis' theory that evolution is a process rather than a competition differs dramatically from the theories of most biologists."
Are the last two simply restrictive clauses using the relative pronoun?
Also (a bit different) - anyone care to parse the following? "Should you have any trouble identifying the house, just remember that it has a big brass knocker on the door." Students see the implied "you" as the subject and its verb remember, but not what's going on up front.
Thank you very much!
Sincerely,
John

John Chorazy
English III Academy, Honors, and Academic
Pequannock Township High School

Nulla dies sine linea. To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list"