Bruce, Bill,
      I second the thanks for a great article. I admit that the
neuroscience isn't my strength, but I am glad that this approach to
language is not simply a philosophical one, but one that is gathering
interest (and valididty) from neuroscience and psychology. Tomasello and
others have looked directly at childhood language acquisition in an
attempt to see these "usage based" patterns at work and the model seems
to hold. There are huge implications for teaching which haven't been
fully explored yet. It certainly weakens the argument that students
don't need to be taught grammar because they have it as birthright.
    Construction grammar tends to direct attention to the enormous
number of local constructions, which are certainly in between what is
usually thought of as vocabulary or syntax if those are thought of as
separate modules. Adele Goldberg's work is largely an argument for even
the most general grammatical patterns as generalizations from use.  The
presence of these lower level (more local) schema make that argument
much easier to make. There is, from that perspective, a lexico-grammar,
not a separate lexicon and separate grammar.
     The math in the corpus grammars does seem to be largely
statistical. Biber et. al. look for what they call the co-occurrence of
grammatical features and have re-examined the notion of genre from that
perspective. The understanding would be that the language is shaped by
what it is called on to accomplish, that it is what it is because of
what it does. If you try to study it as an isolated formal system, you
will miss all these insights.
     I had a long-standing conversation with a friend in artificial
intelligence who died tragically young (actually lived longer than
expected with cystic fibrosis.) I miss those talks. My position still is
that computers will never "understand" human language because human
language is deeply tied to human experience. They will never know what
it is like to "drink the milk of human kindness" in part because they
have never had mothers and never suckled at a mother's breast. Language
doesn't just represent a world, but facilitates human interaction (and
is what it is in part to allow that to happen.) The only thing a
computer can do is construct or reconstruct form on the basis of prior
human programming. I have never met a computer that can understand what
I am saying in any kind of complex way. If I write something brilliant
or something stupid, they will record the form of it letter by letter,
word for word, but they have no way of telling the difference.
     Grammar checks recognize the passive on the basis of its formal
realization, but they haven't figured out a way to measure its
usefulness within a discourse context.

Craig

http://ddl.ish-lyon.cnrs.fr/fulltext/hoen/Dominey_2006_DomHoenInui_JOCN_2006.pdf