From: Dick Veit <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: grammar question--adjective series and commas
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 23:05:07 -0500

Scott,

Consider the difference between these two:
  1. my troublesome, sweet sister
  2. my troublesome sweet tooth
In 1, both "troublesome" and "sweet" modify "sister." My sister is troublesome but sweet.
In 2, "sweet" modifies "tooth," and "troublesome" modifies "sweet tooth." My sweet tooth is troublesome.

When two or more adjectives (as in 1) modify a noun in parallel, they are separated by commas. When one adjective modifies a phrase that contains an adjective (as in 2), no comma is used.

Other examples:
Dick

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Scott Woods <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Dear List,

The following phrases seem different to me:

my beautiful gray Persian cat

my large black leather coat

my large gray Persian cat

my beautiful black leather coat

my old sad mangy cat

my sweet old Irish grandmother

my beautiful Irish linen tablecloth

Some of these need commas between some of the adjectives, but others seem not to. Do you agree? How can this be explained?

Thanks,

Scott Woods