From: Scott Woods <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Fri, February 25, 2011 11:38:09 AM
Subject: grammar question--adjective series and commas

Dear List,

The following phrases seem different to me:

my beautiful gray Persian cat

my large black leather coat

my large gray Persian cat

my beautiful black leather coat

my old sad mangy cat

my sweet old Irish grandmother

my beautiful Irish linen tablecloth

Some of these need commas between some of the adjectives, but others seem not
to. Do you agree? How can this be explained?

Thanks,

Scott Woods
http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the
list"