Student A: (scribble, scribble) The Past Perfect: It’s meanings vary with
context.
 Student B: (scribble, scribble) The Past Perfect: It’s meanings vary with
context.

Student C: (scribble, scribble) The Past Perfect: It’s meanings vary with
context.

Student D: (scribble, scribble) The Past Perfect: It’s meanings vary with
context.

Student E: What the hell does this mean?

Student F: Damned if I know. Better take it down though.

Student G: I thought he was going to tell us what it is.

Student H: He doesn't know. He's just blowing smoke.

(Bell rings.)

Student I: Let's get out of here. This sucks. I knew I should have taken
Russian.

~~~~~

Herb,

Maybe we should have that ... what did you call it? ... ah, yes, here's what I
wrote to you on 09 January:

On Tuesday, 04 January, 5 days ago, you wrote (to ATEG): "This is a good
suggestion, that we have a substantive, productive discussion of the past
perfect".

What happened to your substantive, productive discussion of the past perfect,
without Brad, who is more than willing to watch from the sidelines? In fact, he
VERY MUCH wants to watch your productive discussion.

What happened is that the ones who participate under the rubric of past perfect,
have gone off in all directions, like a fireworks display on the fourth of July.

There is no one out there who has anything but a vague, shaky idea of what it
is. They know it's there but they don't know what it is and when they try to
look it up, they get that same rocket pattern from a plethora of authors who all
take a different stab at it without ever coming to a reasonable conclusion that
can take on all comers.

You complain that I have not surveyed the literature. If 120+ sources is not
enough for you, how many do you want? I read all of the names you sent me --
Quirk, Jespersen, Huddleston, Pinker, Greenbaum, Wardhaugh, Pullum, and many
others and they all display the same pattern. They don't know what it is. I
assume you don't either or you would have sent it to me by now.

If you know what it is, send it to me -- please. Show me what you would write on
the board if a student asked you what it is. Your answer needs to be crisp
enough that they can copy it in their notebooks and carry it out the door when
the bell rings.

.br-had.09jan11.

Since no one, including you, knows what it is, perhaps your call for a
"substantive, productive discussion of the past perfect", would be a good idea.

Let me be preemptive and answer the obvious question. It took a long time, with
a lot of help from ATEG and a host of other interested parties, but I did
wrestle the beast to the ground. I do know what it is. It's useful, it's
valuable because it's useful, and it is very much worth knowing. Being a former
'had' abuser, I know of what I speak.

.brad.sat.12feb11.