In April of 2008, I pointed out some errors in, "Discovering English Grammar", by Richard Veit, c.1999, and he has taken every opportunity for the last 2+ years to take a shot at me. My comments were written to him privately and he took it to ATEG, not me.

The errors are still there for all to see. It's no wonder he's still angry.

He didn't get it before 1999, he doesn't get it now. Look and see for yourself.

.brad.01feb11.

From: Dick Veit <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Mon, January 31, 2011 6:29:01 PM
Subject: Re: Texas is getting explicit, continued

Bruce,

You are for me a model of unassailable optimism. After all these years and and all those hundreds of absolutely futile attempts to have this man see reason or make even the smallest concession, you remain hopeful that this time it will all change.

Of course you are completely correct and reasonable in everything you say. And of course you receive the same reply from him that he has given the last few hundred times.

Many of us have blocked his messages and only are forced to view them when a member takes his bait and plays the enabler. May I suggest that if you still remain hopeful of converting this man you try it off list and let us all know if you achieve a breakthrough? I for one will be impressed.

All the best to you, Bruce.

Dick

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 5:15 PM, Bruce Despain <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
As I said in my response, it depends on what the author wants to say.  Checking one of the options means that your words "should read" be taken as asking me to make a judgement about what the author intended to say.  I will have to say that the author intended to say what he actually wrote.  I am sure that if you had written the article the wording would be different.

From: Brad Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 07:59:13 -0800

Thanks, Bruce. Here's a bit more context, from the Dallas Morning News of 14 January.

“We are of a generation where grammar was not a focus in our education,” said Elsie Nash, an English teacher at Richardson High School. Nash has been teaching for six years.

Of course, she and her colleagues had taken grammar classes in college.

“But we can use a refresher,” said Kate Gonzales, an English teacher at Berkner High School who also has six years of experience.

I don't understand the point you're making but shouldn't the middle paragraph of the three above read ".. her colleagues took grammar classes .."?

.brad.29jan11.

From: Brad Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 12:45:35 -0800

Bruce,

What he did was try to put 'had' in front of a past tense verb and thereby forced the irregular past participle because the verb is irregular.

If that doesn't make as much sense as you'd like, work with it a while and it will clarify itself.

.brad.27jan11.

Ref: "She and her colleagues had taken grammar classes in college."

From: Brad Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Texas is getting explicit, continued
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 08:15:41 -0800

Jeffrey,

On any given day, would you write that a teacher had awakened, had eaten breakfast, had brushed her teeth, had gotten into her car, had driven toward the school, had stopped at a drugstore, had purchased The Dallas Morning News, had arrived at the school, had parked her car, had gone to her classroom, before she finally started to teach the little dears? All of it happened before she taught that day, did it not?

The verb in your sentence, 'had taken', is NOT 'past perfect'. It's a rather long story but people DO put 'had'; in front of past tense verbs. Look at any newspaper or listen to any newscast. The BBC and the Associated Press are particularly flagrant committers.

If you try to put 'had' in front of an IRREGULAR past tense verb, you may try, for example, to put 'had' in front of 'took' and since 'had took' strikes most of us as wrong, you force the irregular past participle and thus write, 'had taken', as you did. What you did was try to put 'had' in front of a past tense verb and thereby forced the irregular past participle because the verb is irregular. If that doesn't make as much sense as you'd like, work with it a while and it will clarify itself.

The past perfect: By the time something happened, something else had already happened, e.g, By the time the police arrived, the robbers had fled, or, When I awoke, the sun had hit the snooze button and it was raining cats and dogs. The robbers were already gone and the sun was already gone; nothing there but cops and water.

As a practical matter, you should consider the past tense the 'default', to borrow from computers, and if it works, use it. If "she and her colleagues took grammar classes in college" makes sense, use it.

I hope this helps.

.brad.26jan11.

By JEFFREY WEISS / The Dallas Morning News, Saturday, January 15, 2011

"Of course, she and her colleagues had taken grammar classes in college."

Good article, Jeffrey, but note, speaking of good grammar, that she and her colleagues took grammar classes in college.

.brad.15jan11.