Muncie, IN  47306

Sender:       American Dialect Society <[log in to unmask]>

Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <[log in to unmask]>

Subject:      Re: "I've a 24" 2.4Ghz iMac _that's_ hard drive recently packed
             in."

I mentioned this some years ago. I had a freshman in the early '80s who
insisted that "that's" was correct because "whose" referred to people.

When I surveyed English Department graduate students with a
fill-in-the-blank quiz, a fair number filled in the blanks with "that's"
instead of "whose."

God knows what they wrote in their own papers. They were mainly working on
masters' rather than doctoral degrees, if that makes anyone feel better.  And
did I mention that the degrees would be in English?  Yeah, I guess I did.

JL