Hi... just a random thought – I've neither heard nor read anyone using this construction ever before (possessive that's). Not that that means so much in itself, but I'm curious about your responses to Kathleen's question concerning the form being a regionalism.

John

Here's a further comment by Larry Horn on ADS-L

> It's actually pretty understandable if you grant the confusion between the interrogative "whose" and the relative "whose". After all, the standard English pattern is pretty weird:
> Whose leg is broken?
> Ken's
> *The dining table's vs. the man/table whose leg is broken
>
> So now for some it's
>
> the man whose leg is broken (or perhaps "who's leg")
> the table that's leg is broken
>
> The difference between the interrogative and relative uses of
> "whose" is certainly curious.
>
> Herb

John Chorazy
English III Academy, Honors, and Academic.
Adviser, Panther Press School Newspaper.

Pequannock Township High School
Pompton Plains,NJ
973.616.6000