I work with a variety of grade levels, and for anything below 9th grade, I
typically must make my own materials or use authentic texts (newspapers,
magazines, etc.) to do "discovery grammar" (teach without a textbook,
identifying and learning forms and functions as we go). I've never had any
luck finding texts for middle school and lower grade levels that avoid
prescriptive, unhelpful approaches. (Don't get me wrong -- I'm not opposed
to simplifying complex material/scaffolding when appropriate, but building
on an inaccurate foundation has never proved beneficial to my students.)

I'd be very interested if others have suggestions for texts for this grade
level.

John Alexander