Geoff,
     A general rule of thumb is that subordinate clauses that contradict
the main clause in some way are preceded by a comma (as we would intone
it in speech.)
     "This quatrain cannot be read in isolation at all, although the
syntax is inherent and incomplete on its own."
    While we're at it, does the writer explain what he/she means by
inherent? It seems strange here, though the sentence may just be out of
context.

Craig