I have a suggestion, and it may apply to a broader spectrum of list participants than just Brad and Eduard. It is simply this - please (1) do NOT simply refer us to somebody else's work (Eduard) and (2) do NOT merely ask/tell the other to show what they think is an example of the verb tense under consideraton (Brad). Instead, try option (3) - talk to the list rather than to each other; give us your own ideas; show us your own examples. In other words, state your position and construct an argument in support of it. When that happens (as it does many times on this list - I have several contributors in mind, it enlivens the discussion almost on a daily, even hourly basis. So gor my own benefit, I would love to see you two share examples of your ideas on tense usage (right and wrong) along with examples that you think demonstrate your respective points. I have a lot to learn about verb tenses - frequently I'm not sure about usage, and it seems that you both have a lot to share that would enhance my education; but that isn't ocurring with the current form of discussion. One of the benefits I find is that there are experts on this list who know a lot more than I do about a lot of things. So can you give that a shot - can you give us your expertise and try to teach us (me)? Would be appreciated!

Geoff Layton
 Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 20:06:35 -0700
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Before the bell rings
To: [log in to unmask]

Eduard,
I didn't ask you what someone else thinks the past perfect is. I asked you what YOU think the past perfect is.
Imagine you're teaching your 5th grade class. It is five minutes before the end of class. A student asks, What is the past perfect? What do you write on
 the board that they can scribble into their notebooks before the bell rings?
Remember the man who wrote that he has heard more about the past perfect than a man should have to hear? I asked the same question of him. He did not reply. He won't reply because he doesn't know what it is either. Still.
(If you say it is used to show that one thing happened before another, I will reply that "I went to the store and bought peaches", or perhaps "Eduard finished the
 definition before the bell rang".)