From: Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Mon, August 8, 2011 1:14:23 PM
Subject: Re: Holding their interest

Seth -

Thanks for the reference. This thread fits with a project on academic discourse
that I'm trying to develop. Perhaps one characteristic that Graff proposes
that might be different from the Rogerian model is his insistence that - after
all the listening and understanding - writers/academics must finally take a
position that differs from that of their interlocutors/respondents. For example,
in his book "Clueless in Academe," he offers significant criticism of Deborah
Tannen and the views she expresses in her book, "The Argument Culture: Moving
from Debate to Dialogue." As he puts it, "Perhaps the most telling refutation of
Tannen's thesis is the confrontational quality of the book itself. . . Tannen
enacts the behavior she objects to" (89). Similarly in "They Say," Graff
advances a method that will enhance the ability of students to argue, not
diminish it. His "listening and understanding" component, as I understand it, is
presented not as a way to be non-confrontational but rather as a means to make
sure that the resulting argument is telling and effective, much the same way
that he demonstrates his understanding of Tannen's position in order
to methodically destroy it.

To return to the theme of the thread - "Holding their interest" - perhaps this
discussion will help hold student interest by showing them that in order
to develop a powerful argument for their position, they must first thoroughly
understand the point of view of the person with whom they disagree - and, more
interestingly, in order to have something interesting to say, they must find an
area where they do disagree.

Geoff Layton

> Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 11:41:33 -0500
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Holding their interest
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Geoff--
>
> What you describe here sounds a lot like a Rogerian argument, in which the
>author (A) first explains the position he or she is opposed to (B), without
>criticism of any sort; the author (A) simply shows that they understand position
>(B). Then the author (A) offers non-pejorative critique of position (B): 'I see
>a problem/weakness/issue in position (B) that you (person who holds position
>[B]) have not addressed.' Then the author (A) offers elements of their own
>position on the issue that (A) thinks will help strengthen the opposing position
>(B). Based on the work of psychologist Carl Rogers, this type of argument is a
>mainstay of mediation: it shows that you are actually listening to the 'other,'
>treating their point of view as valid and thoughtful; and it presents your own
>argument not as antagonistic, but as potentially useful in helping the
>opposition achieve a more effective result (and one that both sides can possible
>agree to as a fair compromise). The only argumentative writing textbook I know
>of that has a whole Rogerian assignment is Nancy Wood's Essentials of Argument.
>
> I have a copy of They Say/I Say on my shelf--now I'll have to look at it!
>Thanks!
>
> Seth
>
> Dr. Seth Katz
> Assistant Professor