Herb - thank you for a sincere and thoughtful, thought provoking response. It brings to mind a quote by a fairly wise man who once said something about "the unexamined life..." And I do agree that we need to be willing to be a bit more disrupted in our thinking. Thanks for that reminder.

To bring it back to writing, it's also a reminder of the value of writing to learn prompts nestled among the test-driven, performance-oriented and expository pieces used to assess content or procedural knowledge. I maintain that journal writing and mini essays still have a significant place in the daily work of the language arts classroom.

John

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 11:33 AM, STAHLKE, HERBERT F <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

John,

You raise a difficult issue.  Clearly I have a stance, and it’s as necessary and fair to contest its foundations as those of people I with different stances.  The issue, however, is not whether all stances should be contested but how a stance holds up under such examination.  I empathize with my son’s friend because I come from a similar family background, conservative Lutheran rather than Southern Baptist, but both share a strong commitment to 19th c. biblical literalism.  It took me years of sometimes agonizing thinking to reach a point where I could reconcile my faith with my experience and knowledge, and it required careful exploration and analysis of foundational beliefs.  It has also separated me somewhat from some of my siblings who hold to the stances we grew up with.  So I know both the need to examine and the difficulty and sometimes pain of the experience we are asking our students to undertake.

I do hold, however, that an examined stance, one that has developed through critical evaluation, has greater validity than one that has not been examined.  What I am saying is that not all stances are equal, just as not all opinions are equal.  I understand and even respect my son’s friend’s stance, or that of some of my siblings, and certainly acknowledge their right to maintain those stances.  I understand also that those stances form a foundation for moral, ethical, and positive lives.  That’s in part why leading students through such an examination is a serious, troubling, disruptive endeavor—and necessary for their growth.

Herb