Thank you Marion. I like the speed acquainting and I can tie that in with introductions by having each pair introduce one another to the class. Then I can correct their grammar while they are speaking. (kidding, of course!)
Carol:)

--- On Fri, 8/19/11, Maryann Whitaker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Maryann Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: First Day Icebreakers for College English
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Friday, August 19, 2011, 11:40 AM

I use something I call "speed acquainting" as a first-day icebreaker.  I arrange the students in a pattern similar to speed dating and give them two minutes to talk with each other.  I model the information for them by telling them a little about myself in two minutes.  I have found that most students enjoy the experience and that it sets an interactive tone for the rest of the semester.  Even students who are shy or who would normally not connect with other students enjoy the interaction because it is short and structured.

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 11:28 AM, MARTHA KOLLN <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I remember a first-day experience when I had the students write to me about their own experience with writing--i.e. what they want me to know about them.  One student had a question:  "Are we allowed to use 'I' ?"

Martha

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 09:41 AM, Carol Morrison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Thank you John, and everyone for all of the helpful advice. I really felt stuck or hung up on the first day for some reason and all of these ideas should provide for a very rich first couple of classes. I am planning on doing student introductions the first day as well. I think using grammar/writing terminology right away is wise too, so students will become familiar with the lingo and not make the grammar a separate part of the learning or secondary to the writing. (Even though they have a separate grammar handbook). I plan on using all of these ideas! Thanx again.
Carol:)