Apply the past-tense default and see what you get.

From: Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, August 5, 2011 3:47 PM
Subject: Re: The past-tense default

Once again, Brad, I'd like to see your analysis and discussion rather than continuing to encounter questions to which presumably you have answers.

Geoff Layton

Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 07:06:45 -0700
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]

Geoff,

There are two 'had's in the quote. Apply the past-tense default and see what you get.

What is the past tense of 'to set out'? What is the past tense of 'to catch'?

The fishermen of Punta Umbria set out before dawn, but so far they caught only anchovies and a few bream.

Here's another, also from "Operation Mincemeat".

"A barrister in civilian life, Montagu was a Naval Intelligence officer who had been one of Chapman's handlers, but he was better known as the author, in 1953, of The Man Who Never Was, an account of the deception plan, code-named "Operation Mincemeat", he had masterminded in 1943."

There are two 'had's in the quote. Apply the past-tense default and see what you get.

What is the past tense of 'to be'? What is the past tense of 'to mastermind'?

Try it. See what you get.

.br-had.05aug11.

~~~~~~~

Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 06:07:39 -0700
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]

Hey, Brad,

Take a look at this one, from "Operation Mincemeat", by Ben Macintyre, c.2009.

"But the weather today was bad for fish spotting. The sky was overcast, and an onshore wind ruffled the water's surface. The fishermen of Punta Umbria had set out before dawn, but so far they had caught only anchovies and a few bream."

.br-had.05aug11.

The past perfect: by the time something happened, something else had already happened.