I have used up considerable amount of ink marking "alright" as all wrong on student papers - and the cause is lost, as is the fight over using "impact" as a verb and "at" as an adverb ("Where are you at"?).  And now, in my dotage, I've come to the opinion that these developments might be good (along with other wonders of the language such as "conversate" as an intransitive verb), even though at one time, I took up cudgel against the demons out to change the language (well, I stil get upset over "at" as an adverb - it's a preposition, damn it).

In fact, using "alright" as one word might have benefits in that "all right" as two words might slip into explitive status ("Well, all right!") or to express other specific meanings ("God's in his heaven and all's right with the world.").

Geoff Layton

Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 17:01:57 -0700
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Usage question
To: [log in to unmask]

In journalism, which tends to be a bit less fussy than us education types, the use of alright is strictly forbidden (even the 2011 AP Style Guide says so). I find it curious just as you say it is.

Paul D.

"If this were play'd upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an improbable fiction" (_Twelfth Night_ 3.4.127-128).