Natalie,

    I haven’t read that treatment of it, but they are right. If you SING a ballad, there’s often a pause at the end of the second and fourth lines that pretty much evens out the spacing. Here’s from Bob Dylan:

    “I dreamed I saw St. Augustine

    Alive as you or me

    Tearing through these quarters

    In the utmost misery”

Or “Somebody robbed the Glendale train

     This morning at half past nine.

     Somebody robbed the Glendale train

   I swear I ain’t lying.

They made off with sixteen G’s

And left two men lying cold.

Somebody robbed the Glendale train

And made off with the gold.

    Of course, the 8/6/8/6 syllable count is a base line, and a singer (reciter) can accommodate more or fewer syllables without losing touch with the base rhythm. In music, this means keeping pace with the instruments.

   For Dickenson, the iconic line might be “Because I would not stop for death/ He kindly stopped for me.” To me, the first of those lines is best spoken with two stresses, one on “stop,” the other on “death.”  The next line pretty much forces three stresses, on “kind,” “stopped,” and “me.” Overall, it’s a pattern driven more by the syllable counts than by the stresses. She certainly doesn’t force the meter into iambic.

   I like Williams’ idea of the variable foot.  American speech is not naturally iambic for long stretches.

Craig