From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Carol Morrison
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2011 9:12 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Interjections

Somewhat related to but not quite in the same vein of Scott's "Bad English" thread, is the questionable use of interjections in academic writing. Is it safe to tell students that interjections are typically not found in academic or formal writing? I have a student who had a continuous string of interjections in his response paper he wrote to one of the essays in the text on marriage. "Yikes!"  "Not this guy!" "Wow!" were some of the responses he would write following a summary of what the author stated. He also began many of his sentences with "Yes, I agree that..." or "No thanks,..." How can I explain that this is not an appropriate style for a college essay? On the informal to formal scale I explained in class, this is what I would consider too informal. Do you agree?

Thanks.

Carol