Eduard,

Thanks for your anecdotal argument against what you call "street English." Perhaps we could all spend a little time listening to some slam poetry, or worse still, rap music, for a sense of what can and can not be expressed in these "base" dialects. We could even count the words to test your theory that "street English" has a total vocabulary of 500 words. (I expect, however, that there are that many taboo words alone.)

Nevertheless, you appear to be comparing apples and oranges when you invite us to a debate between Vladimir Nabakov and Tupac. Perhaps a better argument could be built around the gradual disappearance of RP in the United Kingdom throughout the 80s and 90s and the re-assertion of the authority British regional dialects, some of which are too annoying to heard abroad.

I believe that RP served its purpose of providing the lower classes with a point of entry into "polite society," and when that point of entry was no longer required, it disappeared. This had nothing at all to do with communicative effectiveness, or what it is possible to say in this dialect or that, and everything to do with race and class, with privilege and its opposite.

Mark

On Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:36 PM, "Eduard Hanganu" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Jack,

I am linguist, and I should understand the value of language varieties in different linguistic contexts. The notion, though, that the formal/standard variety of the English language "is not intrinsically better or worse than any other [English Language varieties]" is a claim that needs to be supported with evidence. It is not true that users of different varieties can express themselves in the same way and at the same level. I lived in New York City for thirteen years, and I met people who spoke the "street variety" of the English language. Their average lexicon was about 500 words - survival English. Would it be true that the speakers of such English language "variety" had the same ability to express themselves as a Harvard English Language professor would express himself or herself in his or her "variety"?

It is hard for me to understand what this "Bad English" thread and other such threads are about. Are they a call to illiteracy? Are the public school teachers and college instructors who post messages similar to the one to which I replied working to persuade the members of this forum and their students that language education is not important? I though that this was a forum that promoted English language literacy, but maybe I was wrong.

Eduard