My sense of the original version is that he remembered the books, but he had
never seen the watch before. According to John's explanation of context,
this was a yard sale. The pocket watch was a new discovery, and that's why
it deserves such full description.

Also, "was" is not an auxiliary verb, nor is it a linking verb. It is the
main verb, with its adverbial placed in the opening position—Martha Kolln's
sentence pattern 1, as shown here:

http://www.uncp.edu/home/canada/work/caneng/sentence.htm

Cheers.

Don Stewart