The only explanation we could *come* up with...(sorry!)

--- On Thu, 9/29/11, Carol Morrison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Carol Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Word usage problem?
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thursday, September 29, 2011, 10:08 AM

Dear List Members:

This morning in class, the students and I came across a sentence in their grammar handbook that apparently contains a misusage of some sort that we could not identify:

The Keweenaw Peninsula is surrounded on three sides by Lake Superior.

The only explanation we could some up with is that "three sides" should be replaced with "all sides" because a peninsula only has three sides and an isthmus. Or does it have two sides?

Best-

CarolTo join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list"