I am struck by how Dickinson's patterning of generic vs. specific meanings
with her choice of determiner, including the omission of the determiner,
creates groupings within the poem such that *the majority *and *the starkest
madness* align together while *a discerning eye* and *a chain* seem to group
with *you*. Further, the omission of *the *and the dash accompanying it
before *starkest madness* would not only give the line a trochaic rhythm,
but it would also introduce a pronounced caesura after the first foot. It's
been a while since I've read Bruce Hayes and Margaret MacEachern's article
on folk poetry and ballad meter, but their discussion of how the implied
beat at the end of the three-foot line can function as a fourth foot
suggests to me that such a pronounced pause so early in the third line would
throw off the rhythm of the entire line.

All best,
Natalie

SUNY Fredonia