Good point.  I was uncertain about their use of logical equivalence too.

Herb

From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bruce Despain
Sent: Friday, October 28, 2011 1:03 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Subjunctive -- calling Dick Veit

Just to be picky: the H&P example of logical equivalence is not logically equivalent but is one of implication.  To be equivalent it must run rather something like: "If Jill's in her office, she is here."  The implication requires the impicature that she is evidently not to be seen about the place, or that she is not accustomed to being about the place anywhere else.

Bruce