Bruce - that's pretty much the approach I took with my students, rather than getting into too much more at this point. The sometimes subtle differentiation between like and as is a tough one for many, let alone high school juniors. And yet I can find merit for both versions, especially if the sentence were turned around a bit: "The enduring horror tale Frankenstein was first published anonymously, like some other great works; etc..."  I also wonder if "as were" is an even more accurate phrase in either construction: "As were many other great works, the enduring horror tale..." - "Frankenstein was first published anonymously, as were some other great works..."

Thank you.

John

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 7:16 PM, Bruce Despain <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
John,
You'll have to figure out the collective part, but I have my own opinion.  For me the sentences belongs in a written work and the preferred phrase is introduced with "as with."  The preposition "like" has taken on a distinct colloquial flavor, especially in some young people's dialects, where is usually serves as a sentence modifier.  I would avoid it in written work.
Bruce

--- [log in to unmask] wrote:

From: John Chorazy <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Like/as
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 15:35:10 -0500

Good afternoon to all.  I'd appreciate your collective comments on the following:

"As with (or) Like some other great works, the enduring horror tale Frankenstein was first published anonymously; its author, Mary Shelly, wrote the novel when she was just nineteen years old."

As or like here, and why?

Thank you,

John

--