great thread and very relative to teaching. Thanks to all who offered comments.  As a high school English teacher (or should I have said "like"?), I try to prepare students for college writing, so it's very helpful to hear from so many college and university instructors  I try to teach a differentiation between "like" and "as" or "as though" when using subordinating clauses (and it's not that hard to do if previous groundwork in clauses and phrases has been laid), and I try to teach students that one level of language might be fine for informal but that another level might be expected for formal or academic language. The distinction between "like" and "as" would definitely be harder for ELL students and might just be plain unnecessary for most students.  Sort of like the "who" or "whom" distinction.

You have all helped me much in this finer point of expression.

________________________________
 From: John Chorazy <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, November 21, 2011 1:35 PM
Subject: Like/as

Good afternoon to all.  I'd appreciate your collective comments on the following:

"As with (or) Like some other great works, the enduring horror tale Frankenstein was first published anonymously; its author, Mary Shelly, wrote the novel when she was just nineteen years old."

As or like here, and why?

Thank you,

John

--