From: "John Chorazy" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 9:30:50 AM
Subject: SAT question

Good morning... Your opinions of the SAT and its methods may vary, but I'd like to ask your thoughts on this particular question:

According to ) their high school basketball coach, ) although Beth and her sisters worked

equally hard in practice, Beth ) tended to outperform them both ) during games. No error

My11th graders decided that b is the correct answer with the following logic - the relationship between the clauses "Beth and her sisters worked equally hard in practice" and "Beth tended to outperform them both during games" should established by "although" between them. However, "although" is misplaced since "According to their high school basketball coach" doesn't modify "although Beth and her sisters worked equally hard in practice". I can see how both clauses might work to modify "Beth tended to outperform them both during games," but it's an awkward sentence. Maybe not necessarily grammatically flawed, but awkward.
SAT suggests that (e), no error, is the correct answer. My students disagree. I'd appreciate your thoughts and comments.
Thanks as always...

John

--
John Chorazy