From: Martha Galphin <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: is this phrasing awkward and also a grammar question
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 13:02:07 -0500

ATEG list members:

Please comment on the following sentence and on two things in my note about it: #1 my conclusion that “have a chip” is correct after all and #2 my use of the phrase “she still does have.”

The sentence: “We wouldn’t be here today with Petunia if she didn’t have a chip.” (A long lost dog was returned to her owners after she was found to have an implanted microchip identifying her. An MSNBC internet story.)

My note about the sentence: I would have said, “We wouldn’t be here today with Petunia if she hadn’t had a chip.”  But upon thinking it over, I now decide that since presumably she still does have a chip, “have a chip is correct” after all. What do you think?

Thanks for your help everybody.

MarthaTo join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list"