Re grammar in context:

Members of this list might be interested in an effort I made to create opportunities for classroom discussion of grammar and its effect on the meanings of texts. Geoff Layton published in the ATEG journal and also gave permission for me to place it on the web: <http://cmich.academia.edu/PeterHFries/Papers/1085107/Grammatical_choices_and_text_meaning_The_case_of_the_passive_voice>

I used earlier variants of this example in my college class on grammar for prospective teachers, but it may be of use to others.

Peter

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 2:40 PM, STAHLKE, HERBERT F <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Jack,

You raise important questions or pedagogy and of content, questions we have discussed at length on this forum without reaching consensus.  Should grammar be taught as content?  Should it be taught as an adjunct to the teaching of writing?  What you suggest is that a significant amount of grammar, grammar that is useful to writers, can be taught in the process of meeting the needs of developing writers.  And this leads me to wonder whether a grammar in context approach might not be a way to introduce grammatical knowledge that we all think is useful and presenting it in a way that makes its relevance obvious.  This suggests a much more thorough-going grammar in context model than we usually see in writing classrooms, rather, an approach that starts in early grades and incorporates grammar into language arts activities across the board.

Not being a K12 teacher, I may be describing what some teachers are already doing.

Herb

-----Original Message-----
From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dixon, Jack
Sent: Sunday, December 25, 2011 6:59 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Spoken vs. formal written English

Terre:

Thank you for your detailed response.  I do want to check out Kate Kinsella's work in using academic vocabulary and sentence frames. (Any titles in particular where I should start?)  I am familiar with "They Say, I Say" and agree that it can be useful for helping students understand those deeper cognitive structures that academic writers use - actually used by more than just academics.

I would like a copy of your rubric if you are willing to share.  Are the two essays you use pieces that you have collected or written yourself, or are they published somewhere so that I could access them?

What I like about your strategies for teaching academic vocabulary and using sentence frames is that you are teaching students how to communicate without putting the focus on error.  So many objectives that involve developing language proficiency involve error avoidance or correction.  While correcting errors is important, teaching students how to accomplish larger rhetorical goals seems more productive to me.  In my classes over the last few years (developmental writing and freshman English at an open-admissions community college), I have worked with sentence imitation, tied with comprehension.  I take sentences with some level of structural complexity that I can be fairly sure my students will understand when we read and discuss them.  I then model imitating the structure, not the content; we do a few together; then, I have them write a few original sentences which we read around the room.  At the end of that session, the students feel they have done something important.

My underlying goal is to show them that, in fact, they know more grammar than they think they do and that we are going to build on what they know.  As we discuss how any given structure works, I begin to introduce them to the concepts of phrases, clauses, punctuation - all tied to the ways the meaning gets conveyed.

Jack

From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [ Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ ========================================================================Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 03:47:33 -0500 Reply-To: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> Sender: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> From: Joseph McKibban <[log in to unmask]> Subject: ghdsweZadC G Comments: To: [log in to unmask] Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Christmas gift! Lots of lots of gift shopping www.gmail123.com email: [log in to unmask] To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ ========================================================================Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 07:31:11 -0800 Reply-To: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> Sender: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> From: "Shahed, Faheem H." <[log in to unmask]> Subject: CALL FOR PAPERS (AIUB Journal of Liberal Arts) MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="-1740618739-1192827610-1325172671=:58765" ---1740618739-1192827610-1325172671=:58765 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Dear esteemed colleages:   Greetings from Dhaka.   The Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences (FASS) of American International University-Bangladesh (AIUB) is coming up with its journal "AIUB Journal of Liberal Arts" where we heartily welcome your contributions which will undergo reviews by prominent academics in related fields.   As soon as your articles would be selected, we will notify you.   Looking forward to your participation.   Best regards,   Faheem Hasan Shahed, Ph.D. Head & Associate Professor Department of English Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences AIUB, Dhaka email: [log in to unmask] -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------    CALL FOR PAPERS AIUB Journal of Liberal Arts (AJLA)          Call Deadline: 31-March-2012   Call Information: AIUB Journal of Liberal Arts (AJLA) — a journal belonging to the Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences of a a top-ranking, renowned private university of Bangladesh called American International University-Bangladesh (www.aiub.edu) — welcomes  the submission of papers for its first issue on Applied Linguistics and Language Teaching. The deadline for manuscript submission is March, 31, 2012. The issue publication date is June 2012.   Possible topics can include, but are not limited to: ·    English Language Teaching and Intercultural Communication ·    Teaching and Learning of English as a Foreign/ Second Language ·    Classroom   Practice and  Language   Proficiency ·    Cognitive Learning and Communication ·    English Teaching and Learning in the Digital Age ·    Methods for Teaching General English and for Teaching English for       Specific   Purposes ·    Teachers as Innovators and Facilitators ·    Teaching materials and communicative language teaching and        learning ·    Curriculum Development: A thought for Literary texts, texts of     Popular Culture and Information Technology ·    English and New Trends in Higher Education ·    Effective Teaching   Methodologies in Language and Literature      Classrooms ·     Assessment and Testing  ·    Interdisciplinary in   Language Teaching and Learning ·    Assessment Practices in   Language Teaching ·    Classroom   Management ·    English as an International   Language ·    Second  Language   Acquisition ·    The   Role of Culture in English Language Teaching and   Learning ·   Cultural Awareness in the Communicative   Class ·   Method, methodology and pedagogy development ·   Content integrated language teaching ·   Development of reading and writing skills ·   Critical and creative pedagogy  ·     Cultural influences in teaching English ·     Teaching English in large and under-resourced contexts ·     Teacher and learner autonomy  ·     Translation studies: development, problems and solutions. ·     Foreign language teaching and translation ·     The digital age and translation ·     Globalization and translation ________________________________________________________________     SUBMISSIONS   ·         Papers should be between 2000-4000 words long, and should be submitted electronically as e-mail attachments to: [log in to unmask] with a “cc” to: [log in to unmask]     ·         All articles should have an abstract between 150 and 250 words  in length.   ·         Each paper should include no more than 5 keywords.   ·         The submission has been neither previously published, nor is it under consideration by another journal.   ·         Authors should include a cover page with the full title of the paper, the author's full name, author’s affiliation and address, e-mail address, postal address, phone number. The author's name should not appear elsewhere in the article.   ·         Each article should be double-spaced in 12 point font (Times New Roman) with 1 inch margins on all sides.   ·         The editors of AJLA reserve the right to make editorial changes in any manuscript accepted for publication for the sake of style or clarity. Authors will be consulted only if the changes are substantial.   ·         All submissions must conform to the requirements of the APA (American Psychological Association) is the most commonly used to cite sources within the social sciences. Authors are responsible for the accuracy of references and citations, which must be in APA format. Manuscripts may be rejected if they do not meet the APA requirements. The following web page can be used to obtain a condensed version of the guidelines: ·         http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01   ·         Footnotes should be avoided. ·         Authors should submit separately from the paper a four line bio.     ·         Authors of accepted manuscripts will assign to AJLA the permanent right to electronically distribute their articles, but they will retain their copyright. After the article has appeared in AJLA, authors may republish their texts as long as they clearly acknowledge AJLA as the original publisher and the only source for citation purposes.     Book Review Submission:   AJLA welcomes book reviews dealing with English language teaching and learning, linguistics, literature, translation, applied linguistics, second language acquisition, language assessment, socio- and psycholinguistics or other textbooks within the scope of AJLA.   The book review should be an engaging, informative, and critical discussion of approximately 800-1500-words and should provide description and substantive evaluation.   The header of the review should include: · Author(s) or editor(s) first and last name(s) · Title of book · Year of publication · Place of publication · Publisher · Number of pages   The review should consider the following:   ·         The key themes and major objectives of the book. ·         The soundness of methods and information sources used. ·         Informing the reader about what is happening in the topic area the book addresses; what the state of knowledge is in the subject; and how this new book adds, changes, or breaks new ground in our knowledge of this subject. ·         Constructive comments about the strength and weaknesses of the book and. ·         A comparison with other works on this subject.   It is understood that review manuscripts submitted to AJLA have not been previously published and are not under consideration for publication elsewhere.   At the end of your review, please include: Your first and last name. Institution affiliation.    _______ __________________________   For any query, please feel free to contact me:   Faheem Hasan Shahed, Ph.D. Head & Associate Professor Department of English Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences AIUB, Dhaka email: [log in to unmask]                                   To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ ---1740618739-1192827610-1325172671=:58765 Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Dear esteemed colleages:

Greetings from Dhaka.

The Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences (FASS) of American International University-Bangladesh (AIUB) is coming up with its journal "AIUB Journal of Liberal Arts" where we heartily welcome your contributions which will undergo reviews by prominent academics in related fields.

As soon as your articles would be selected, we will notify you.

Looking forward to your participation.

Best regards,

Faheem Hasan Shahed, Ph.D.
Head & Associate Professor
Department of English
Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences
AIUB, Dhaka
email: [log in to unmask]" rel=nofollow target=_blank>[log in to unmask]

 CALL FOR PAPERS
AIUB Journal of Liberal Arts (AJLA)

Call Deadline: 31-March-2012

Call Information:
AIUB Journal of Liberal Arts (AJLA) — a journal belonging to the Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences of a a top-ranking, renowned private university of Bangladesh called American International University-Bangladesh (www.aiub.edu) — welcomes  the submission of papers for its first issue on Applied Linguistics and Language Teaching. The deadline for manuscript submission is March, 31, 2012. The issue publication date is June 2012.

Possible topics can include, but are not limited to:

·    English Language Teaching and Intercultural Communication
·    Teaching and Learning of English as a Foreign/ Second Language
·    Classroom   Practice and  Language   Proficiency
·    Cognitive Learning and Communication
·    English Teaching and Learning in the Digital Age
·    Methods for Teaching General English and for Teaching English for
     Specific   Purposes
·    Teachers as Innovators and Facilitators
·    Teaching materials and communicative language teaching and
     learning
·    Curriculum Development: A thought for Literary texts, texts of
    Popular Culture and Information Technology
·    English and New Trends in Higher Education
·    Effective Teaching   Methodologies in Language and Literature
     Classrooms
·     Assessment and Testing
·    Interdisciplinary in   Language Teaching and Learning
·    Assessment Practices in   Language Teaching
·    Classroom   Management
·    English as an International   Language
·    Second  Language   Acquisition
·    The   Role of Culture in English Language Teaching and   Learning
·   Cultural Awareness in the Communicative   Class
·   Method, methodology and pedagogy development
·   Content integrated language teaching
·   Development of reading and writing skills
·   Critical and creative pedagogy
·     Cultural influences in teaching English
·     Teaching English in large and under-resourced contexts
·     Teacher and learner autonomy
·     Translation studies: development, problems and solutions.
·
     Foreign language teaching and translation
·
     The digital age and translation
·
     Globalization and translation

SUBMISSIONS

·         Papers should be between 2000-4000 words long, and should be submitted electronically as e-mail attachments to: [log in to unmask]" rel=nofollow target=_blank>[log in to unmask] with a “cc” to: [log in to unmask]" rel=nofollow target=_blank>[log in to unmask]

·         All articles should have an abstract between 150 and 250 words  in length.

·         Each paper should include no more than 5 keywords.

·         The submission has been neither previously published, nor is it under consideration by another journal.

·         Authors should include a cover page with the full title of the paper, the author's full name, author’s affiliation and address, e-mail address, postal address, phone number. The author's name should not appear elsewhere in the article.

·         Each article should be double-spaced in 12 point font (Times New Roman) with 1 inch margins on all sides.

·         The editors of AJLA reserve the right to make editorial changes in any manuscript accepted for publication for the sake of style or clarity. Authors will be consulted only if the changes are substantial.

·         All submissions must conform to the requirements of the APA (American Psychological Association) is the most commonly used to cite sources within the social sciences. Authors are responsible for the accuracy of references and citations, which must be in APA format. Manuscripts may be rejected if they do not meet the APA requirements. The following web page can be used to obtain a condensed version of the guidelines:
·         http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01

·         Footnotes should be avoided.
·         Authors should submit separately from the paper a four line bio.

·         Authors of accepted manuscripts will assign to AJLA the permanent right to electronically distribute their articles, but they will retain their copyright. After the article has appeared in AJLA, authors may republish their texts as long as they clearly acknowledge AJLA as the original publisher and the only source for citation purposes.

Book Review Submission:

AJLA welcomes book reviews dealing with English language teaching and learning, linguistics, literature, translation, applied linguistics, second language acquisition, language assessment, socio- and psycholinguistics or other textbooks within the scope of AJLA.

The book review should be an engaging, informative, and critical discussion of approximately 800-1500-words and should provide description and substantive evaluation.

The header of the review should include:
· Author(s) or editor(s) first and last name(s)
· Title of book
· Year of publication
· Place of publication
· Publisher
· Number of pages

The review should consider the following:

·         The key themes and major objectives of the book.
·         The soundness of methods and information sources used.
·         Informing the reader about what is happening in the topic area the book addresses; what the state of knowledge is in the subject; and how this new book adds, changes, or breaks new ground in our knowledge of this subject.
·         Constructive comments about the strength and weaknesses of the book and.
·         A comparison with other works on this subject.

It is understood that review manuscripts submitted to AJLA have not been previously published and are not under consideration for publication elsewhere.

At the end of your review, please include:
Your first and last name.
Institution affiliation.

_______ __________________________

For any query, please feel free to contact me:

Faheem Hasan Shahed, Ph.D.
Head & Associate Professor
Department of English

Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ ---1740618739-1192827610-1325172671=:58765-- ========================================================================Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 18:30:57 -0800 Reply-To: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> Sender: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> From: Scott Woods <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Joseph Blumenthal's books MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="356309654-371809632-1325212257=:98225" --356309654-371809632-1325212257=:98225 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Dear List, Have any of you used or seen Joseph C. Blumenthal's programmed instruction grammar and writing books, English 2200, English 2600, or English3200? If so, what did you think? If you used it with students, did they learn well from it? What was their reaction to it? Thanks, Scott Woods To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ --356309654-371809632-1325212257=:98225 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ --356309654-371809632-1325212257=:98225-- ========================================================================Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 10:08:35 -0500 Reply-To: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> Sender: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> From: Gay Claiborne <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: Joseph Blumenthal's books In-Reply-To: <[log in to unmask]> MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0391_01CCC6DA.FE15BF30" This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0391_01CCC6DA.FE15BF30 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, Scott-- Yes, I've used them all. They're excellent for students who've been away from grammar study for a while and need confidence building. The design of the programmed text coordinated with tests for each unit ensures incremental progress and back-tracking to find missteps. We used these texts in UMUC classes in the 90s when I was teaching on Okinawa (mostly military students); they were successful with and appreciated by the students (and me). Gay ----- Original Message ----- From: Scott Woods To: [log in to unmask] Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2011 9:30 PM Subject: Joseph Blumenthal's books Dear List, Have any of you used or seen Joseph C. Blumenthal's programmed instruction grammar and writing books, English 2200, English 2600, or English3200? If so, what did you think? If you used it with students, did they learn well from it? What was their reaction to it? Thanks, Scott Woods To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ ------=_NextPart_000_0391_01CCC6DA.FE15BF30 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ ------=_NextPart_000_0391_01CCC6DA.FE15BF30-- ========================================================================Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 15:25:16 -0600 Reply-To: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> Sender: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> From: "Dixon, Jack" <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: Joseph Blumenthal's books In-Reply-To: <7A1EF6A30600487E8D751E0B082FEE82@GClaibornePC> Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="_000_0F79F16D80ACAF4697CCB4902BACE2ED2F8951C1F2LSCSMAILCLSCS_" MIME-Version: 1.0 --_000_0F79F16D80ACAF4697CCB4902BACE2ED2F8951C1F2LSCSMAILCLSCS_ Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I remember those texts from the 1970's. As with anything, the students who worked through the items learned; those who didn't, didn't. I do not know how useful the texts would be for application of the concepts to the students' own writing. I've not seen the texts in many years and some of my expectations have changed since that time. Jack ________________________________ From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Gay Claiborne [[log in to unmask]] Sent: Friday, December 30, 2011 9:08 AM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: Joseph Blumenthal's books Hi, Scott-- Yes, I've used them all. They're excellent for students who've been away from grammar study for a while and need confidence building. The design of the programmed text coordinated with tests for each unit ensures incremental progress and back-tracking to find missteps. We used these texts in UMUC classes in the 90s when I was teaching on Okinawa (mostly military students); they were successful with and appreciated by the students (and me). Gay ----- Original Message ----- From: Scott Woods To: [log in to unmask] Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2011 9:30 PM Subject: Joseph Blumenthal's books Dear List, Have any of you used or seen Joseph C. Blumenthal's programmed instruction grammar and writing books, English 2200, English 2600, or English3200? If so, what did you think? If you used it with students, did they learn well from it? What was their reaction to it? Thanks, Scott Woods To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ --_000_0F79F16D80ACAF4697CCB4902BACE2ED2F8951C1F2LSCSMAILCLSCS_ Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ --_000_0F79F16D80ACAF4697CCB4902BACE2ED2F8951C1F2LSCSMAILCLSCS_-- ========================================================================Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 15:38:18 -0600 Reply-To: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> Sender: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> From: Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: Joseph Blumenthal's books In-Reply-To: <[log in to unmask]> Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="_083b0857-d7ec-41cf-bfb8-2529d9e82a13_" MIME-Version: 1.0 --_083b0857-d7ec-41cf-bfb8-2529d9e82a13_ Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have them in my library, but I'm not sure how useful they would be. They still have a "drill and kill" aspect about them. I'd much prefer that my students use what I call "writing in the context of grammar" (NOT grammar in the context of writing, which formal grammar instruction by another name). Writing in the context of grammar allows students to use grammatical constructions they already know (and they know all of them!) to create meaning without having to memorize any grammar terms or get involved in vague and often confusing definitions. Geoff Layton Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 15:25:16 -0600 From: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: Joseph Blumenthal's books To: [log in to unmask] I remember those texts from the 1970's. As with anything, the students who worked through the items learned; those who didn't, didn't. I do not know how useful the texts would be for application of the concepts to the students' own writing. I've not seen the texts in many years and some of my expectations have changed since that time. Jack From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Gay Claiborne [[log in to unmask]] Sent: Friday, December 30, 2011 9:08 AM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: Joseph Blumenthal's books Hi, Scott-- Yes, I've used them all. They're excellent for students who've been away from grammar study for a while and need confidence building. The design of the programmed text coordinated with tests for each unit ensures incremental progress and back-tracking to find missteps. We used these texts in UMUC classes in the 90s when I was teaching on Okinawa (mostly military students); they were successful with and appreciated by the students (and me). Gay ----- Original Message ----- From: Scott Woods To: [log in to unmask] Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2011 9:30 PM Subject: Joseph Blumenthal's books Dear List, Have any of you used or seen Joseph C. Blumenthal's programmed instruction grammar and writing books, English 2200, English 2600, or English3200? If so, what did you think? If you used it with students, did they learn well from it? What was their reaction to it? Thanks, Scott Woods To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ --_083b0857-d7ec-41cf-bfb8-2529d9e82a13_ Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 15:25:16 -0600
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]

Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ --_083b0857-d7ec-41cf-bfb8-2529d9e82a13_-- ========================================================================Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 23:00:14 +0000 Reply-To: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> Sender: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> From: "Myers, Marshall" <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: Joseph Blumenthal's books In-Reply-To: <[log in to unmask]> Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="_000_E6446B90F8DEEC4FB965A2BCC9E704CC2C9D4853fsmail1facultys_" MIME-Version: 1.0 --_000_E6446B90F8DEEC4FB965A2BCC9E704CC2C9D4853fsmail1facultys_ Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable ATEGers I learned some linguistic fundamentals from A PROGRAMMED INTRODUCTION TO LINGUISTICS by Cynthia Buchanan, published in 1963. Anyone remember this one? Many years ago, I did some research on the effectiveness of ENGLISH 3200. As I recall, it was as effective in teaching fundamentals of writing mechanics as classroom instruction, but no better. Marshall From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Scott Woods Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2011 9:31 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Joseph Blumenthal's books Dear List, Have any of you used or seen Joseph C. Blumenthal's programmed instruction grammar and writing books, English 2200, English 2600, or English3200? If so, what did you think? If you used it with students, did they learn well from it? What was their reaction to it? Thanks, Scott Woods To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ --_000_E6446B90F8DEEC4FB965A2BCC9E704CC2C9D4853fsmail1facultys_ Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable