From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bruce Despain
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:35 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Gerund phrase v. gerund--grammar question

Craig,

     My reply to Karl may clarify some of your questions.

     Modifying a noun is the normal function of an adjective.  A noun that modifies another noun is often called an appositive, whether restrictive or non-restrictive.  Some of my examples an attempt to use another kind of modification: one of the common classes of morphological compounding of nouns in the "subject-action" pattern.   Lexicographers may differ in their choice of what kind of compounding is common or regular enough to admit the word into the dictionary as a separate entry.  Usually only those whose meaning may not be clear from the combining of the meanings of the separate elements will qualify.

     I believe that the clearest definition of "noun phrase" is given in phrase structure rules: what are its constituents and what are their normal order.  Some of my discourse had to do with the definition of a noun phrase at different levels of analysis.  The modification of the head by an adjective clause illustrates this principle.  The restrictive clause modifies it at a more basic or lower level than the non-restrictive clause.  (NP vs. NP-bar)

Bruce

From: Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 08:48:40 -0800

Like Bruce, I think that there are definitional issues at the core of your question. I see your examples as an illustration that the traditional understanding of "gerund" (which would, indeed, cover all your examples) doesn't adequately capture what's going on here.

Your examples with "the" are nouns. Not only do they take a determiner and a prepositional phrase as a complement (both characteristics of nouns), but they also take adjectival modification, as in "the rapid waving of the baby's legs..." or "the annual rolling of logs into the river." You can even make them plural, given the right semantic framework: "He has participated in three runnings of the bulls." The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language calls these "gerundial nouns," (IOW, nouns derived from gerunds).

Your examples without "the" do not behave like nouns internally, even though the whole phrase can fill a slot normally occupied by a noun phrase. They fail the above tests for noun-hood:

*the rolling logs into the river
*rapid rolling logs into the river

On the other hand, they pass verb tests, taking a noun phrase complement like transitive verbs, and accepting modification by adverbs ("rapidly rolling logs into the river"). In short, this type of "gerund" behaves almost exactly like a participle. Indeed, unless the gerund/participle has a subject, they are exactly alike.

In short, the traditional label of "gerund" lumps together two classes of words with very different behavior, which to my mind makes it not useful as an analytical category.

With my students, I tend to soft-pedal, or even ignore, the terminology here. I dislike the CGEL term "gerund-participle" just because it's unwieldy, but have nothing better to offer. I'll often just call it a participle and ignore the gerund part, although the pedant in me cringes a little bit each time I do that. I focus on getting them to see that the -ing words can sometimes behave as nouns and sometimes as verbal participles. What's essential to me is getting them to see how to test the difference.

Karl

On 1/16/2012 12:02 PM, Scott Woods wrote:

Dear List,

Would you characterize "the waving of the baby's legs from the buggy" as a gerund phrase in the following sentence? "Susan could see the flash of her teeth, laughing, and the waving of the baby's legs from the buggy."  It soesn't seem to be one to me, since it can't operate as a participial phrase in another sentence. Would you agree? Why do some gerunds take an article and others not? In the following pairs, the first seems to me to be a gerund phrase and the second not.  Is this right? What is the principle behind why some take an article and other don't?

Rolling logs into the river was fun.

The rolling of the logs into the river was annoying.

Eating oatmeal is boring.

The eating of the oatmeal has begun.

Running with the bulls is fun.

The running of the bulls has begun.

Growing vegetables is fun.

The growing of the vegetables was left to me.

Thanks,

Scott Woods

No virus found in this message.