Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 06:58:38 -0800
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: is this phrasing awkward and also a grammar question
To: [log in to unmask]

Martha,

I think your reading is fine.  The expression "still does have" does have a variant form.  The normal rule is to form an emphatic using the pro-verb "do" in cases where there is no operator, as "she went" -> "she did go."  This is normal to bring out a contrast.  The unemphatic form of your example uses the full verb "have" (meaning "possess") and so, "she still has" -> "she still does have."  The custom in British English, however, is to let the full verb "have" be treated as though it were an auxiliary, which it is when used as a formative for the perfect aspect.  So in those dialects it is accepted to use "she still has" -> "she still has" with stress on the "has," not usually indicated in the written form.  This usage is parallel to BrE allowed/preferred form for questions using the full verb, "Has she still a chip?" or better "Has she a chip still?" where AmE prefers to say, "Does she still have a chip?"  I think if the person quoted were British, the absence of "do" would be considered quite normal.  But, even this practice seems to be waning a bit with the strong influence that the AmE dialects have there today.  [I think this difference in dialects is a matter of hypercorrection among the British that came about since the time that the American colonies were settled from their country.]

Bruce

Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 10:33:53 -0800
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]

I think your second thoughts were spot on.  The use of past perfect has be the topic of much discussion on this list in the past.  I think the idea of present relevance is important.  If the words of the utterance were given as reported speech, the tense would be back-shifted.

Compare:
The owners reported, "We wouldn’t be here today with Petunia if she didn’t have a chip."
with:
The owners reported that they wouldn’t be here today with Petunia if she hadn’t had a chip.

The original speech was shifted to the past because of the (irrealis of the apodosis) and conditional mode (of the protasis).  I think that reported speech is one situation where the past perfect would be preferred so as to preserve the mode of the original.  (This is all the more important since the "would" cannot be shifted back any further.)

Petunia has a chip.
She may not have had a chip.
We wouldn't be here today with her in this case.

Bruce