Thank you, Gerald. I agree with your assessment. I have seen different variations of the apostrophe placement, but this makes sense. If we said "Mark Jones's house is for sale," the "s's" would be correct, yes? Only if we are talking about more than one person named Jones would we say Joneses'.
From: GERALD W WALTON <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 5:12 PM
Subject: Re: Singular and Plural Possessive forms of Last Names and Apostrophe Placement

1) The Jones's house is for sale. Incorrect
2) The Jones' house is for sale. Incorrect
3) The Joneses' house is for sale.Correct

1) Tom Romano's house is for sale. Correct
2) The Romanos' house is for sale. (indicating that the house is owned by more than 1 Romano) Correct
***3) The Romano's house is for sale. Incorrect.

Or are we to assume "The Romano" stands for "The Romano Family" No.

There are cases, of course, where there is a kind of adjective-noun relationship—“The Romano house is always beautifully decorated.”

gww