A few Language Standards for 11-12 grades (with my parenthetical
annotations):

1. *Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and
usage when writing or speaking* (I'd agree there is no specific demand here
for a language set that describes the conventions, but there is broad room
for introducing it and for students to employ it in order to fulfill the
requirements of an ELA course. The Standards aren't the end or the all of
the curriculum, they're a framework for "college readiness"... though maybe
that's another discussion in itself...).

a. *Apply the understanding that usage is a matter of convention, can
change over time, and is sometimes contested* (How does one apply this
understanding without a common language set to engage in a productive
conversation? I think there's plenty of room for the classroom teacher
here, necessarily).

b.* Resolve issues of complex or contested usage, consulting references
(e.g.Merriam- Webster’s Dictionary of English Usage, Garner’s Modern
American Usage) as needed* (Same as above, I'd say. Complex issues demand a
complex jargon).

3. *Apply knowledge of language to understand how language functions in
different contexts, to make effective choices for meaning or style, and to
comprehend more fully when reading or listening* (This is clearly
metaknowledge, though I still agree with Ed that nothing is demanded in
specific terms.).

a. *Vary syntax for effect, consulting references (e.g., Tufte’s Artful
Sentences) for guidance as needed; apply an understanding of syntax to the
study of complex texts when reading* (When students are asked to apply or
demonstrate knowledge, it's going to be up to the classroom teacher to
determine how that's satisfied. But the suggestion of a guiding text (Tufte
or any other) is a nod toward the need for complex and expert information
to resolve complex issues).

To go back a bit, the Standards state that 5th graders should be able to
use correlative conjunctions, explain the functions of conjunctions and
prepositions, and form and use various verb tenses; by grade 8, students
should be able to *Explain the function of verbals (gerunds, participles,
infinitives) in general and their function in particular sentences* and *Use
knowledge of language and its conventions when writing, speaking, reading,
or listening*. None of that is done without metacognition and application
of at least a few terms regarding grammar - though I'm aware that the slant
is pitched away from using such terms because their practicality is
questioned.

I think it will be interesting to see what's on the state tests, frankly;
the Consortia who are determining the high stakes assessments for the
Standards are the ones who'll have the final interpretation. My sense is
that there won't be any questions "about" grammar in sight... but embedded
within the questions and readings will be a need for a rich understanding
of the complexities of language, especially by 11-12th grades.

Sincerely,

John

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Ed Vavra <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Bill,
> Thanks for asking this question. In addition to looking at the CC
standards, I've looked at those of a few states, including sample exams. I
can find nothing that suggests specific metalinguistic knowledge. I
remember seeing somewhere that students should be able to identify verbs,
but that statement itself is vague. Identifying finite verbs in simple
sentences is relatively easy, but identifying verbs in their own writing is
another question. I'm hoping that you get more responses.
> Ed V.

[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Spruiell, William C
> Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2012 4:01 PM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Quick Common Core question
>
> Hi all --
>
> I'm lazily attempting to draw on ATEG's collective experience, largely
because I've discovered that educational bureaucracies inevitably think of
a different name to file something under than I do. I'm in the process of
making sure the English-ed grammar sections I'm about to teach address the
Common Core directly. The CC has a number of statements that are ambiguous
as to whether what's being asked for has to do with students simply
"producing a construction", or (instead) having conscious metalinguistic
knowledge of it. As an example, at one point the CC says that students at
grade eight should "form and use verbs in the active and passive voice"
(I'd want "voices" there, but that's probably pushing things). Native
English-speakers without some kind of language impairment will form and use
actives and passives, of course -- just record them long enough and you'll
get both. Read one way, a large set of these CC objectives basically boil
down to, "determine if any of your students are second language learners or
have language impairments"; read another, they're instead "determine if
your students have specific metalinguistic knowledge."

> Is there anything approaching an official statement about which one of
those readings is intended? If so, does anyone know where it is? Apologies
if I'm asking something that's totally obvious. The course is one I haven't
taught in a couple of years, and the switch to the CC in my state was in
the early phases the last time around.

--
John Chorazy
English II and III, Academic and Honors