From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Robert Yates [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2012 10:56 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: 20 most common usage errors--research? evidence?

Scott,

I think this is probably the most carefully done research on usage errors in American university student writing.

http://www.inventio.us/ccc/1988/12/robert-j-connors-and-andrea-a.html

Connors, Robert J., and Andrea A. Lunsford. "Frequency of Formal Errors in Current College Writing, or Ma and Pa Kettle Do Research." CCC 39.4 (1988): 395-409.

Bob Yates
University of Central Missouri

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 1:03 AM, Scott Woods <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
Dear Group,

Is anyone familiar with research on usage errors and methods for reducing them in students' work? What really works for reducing usage errors? What doesn't work? How should we think of usage errors? Do error reduction efforts work? What do they give us? While I don't want my students to make errors, I'm much more interested in improving their writing than in reducing their errors.

Thanks,

Scott Woods