John,
    My guess, just from the playfulness of the sentences, is that they had a great deal of fun doing this. I like to ask students to find sentences they like and then imitate them, as Fish suggests, in part because they have so much fun doing it and then arguing about whether or not the imitating sentence actually fits the mold. They also pretty much unanimously tell me they find it useful. I like having attention on how grammar works when grammar is working well. During the conversation, you can sometimes weave in some sophisticated terminology.

Craig

From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of John Chorazy [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2012 9:18 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: The Atlantic Writing Articles

Craig - I just used Fish's "doer-doing-done to" scaffold today to help students construct sentences filled with relationships (I have students write the basic form and hand off to others who then recast the sentence). I then asked them to list as many "grammar" terms they could come up with to label what they did (adverbials, appositives, etc... this was definitely the harder part for most, but worth the discussion). See below - not all perfect, but the most purposeful sentences some of my students wrote all year.

William went to the game.

On Wednesday, June 12, William, my older cousin, went to the Yankee game with his best friend Joe and caught a foul ball during the ninth inning.

Alex paid for his lunch.

Yesterday, Alex paid for his lunch with his mom’s 5 dollar bill and got $2 in change, so he also bought a snack.

The boy screamed.

During his nightly walk in a small desolate woody town, the boy heard footsteps behind him and turned around, the boy screamed before noticing it was just his old dad telling him to come inside so he could get ready to go to sleep.

Bob shot the puck.

When my friends and I went to the championship hockey tournament in Quebec, Canada, Bob, my good friend Gianna’s boyfriend, shot the puck so hard that it flew into the stadium’s bleachers, knocking out Jeremy Smith’s two front teeth, thus forcing the arena to call 911 where an ambulance quickly arrived and carried him off on a stretcher to the nearest hospital.

- John

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Hancock, Craig G <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Bob,

    I think the position would be much clearer if you read the article. They claim that many 14 or 15 year old students were unable to write sentences using, for example, words like “although.”  They came up with courses in “analytical writing” that include attempts to remedy that. For a similar approach at the college level, see “They Say/ I Say: The moves that Matter in Academic Writing” (Graf and Birkenstein), which offers a number of sentence level “templates” as part of its program. Stanley Fish also advocates analyzing and imitating sentences. “Practice in the analyzing and imitating of sentences is also practice in the reading of sentences” ( Fish, How to Write a Sentence: And How to Read One, p.9). The Atlantic article focuses on a failing school that was able to improve remarkably largely—as they see it—because of the implementation of a writing curriculum that pays explicit attention to sentences as ways to generate certain kinds of meaning.  Graduation rates have gone from 63 percent to 80, passing rates on Regents exams (this is a New York requirement) have improved dramatically in both English and history (where essays are involved), more students are taking advanced classes that carry college credit, and so on.

    They may be wrong for doing what they are doing, but it seems to be working. Without this turnaround, the school would have been shut down.

Craig