Dick,
The performative of an oath is replaced by a declarative assertion by Avery.  The performative meaning would be:"I assert that I did not, so help me God" so that the performance needing authority from God is the assertion, not the deed.
Bruce

--- [log in to unmask] wrote:

From: Dick Veit <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Analyzing "so help me God"
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 09:02:18 -0500

In the future, when I need information on any language question, I will simply write, "So help me, Herb!" Thanks, all who replied, for your erudite responses.

A follow-up: Since the phrase literally means "May God help me in this," I find it curious that it has come to signify "I swear I am telling the truth" ("Asked if he raped the man accusing Engelhardt and Shero, Avery said: 'I did not. So help me God'." [reference]), which has nothing to do with asking for divine assistance. If anything, the intent is "May God punish me if I lie."

Dick

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 10:53 PM, Stahlke, Herbert <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Dick,

The OED Online gives the following as the third entry under "help, v."

 c. In subj. pres., in invocations and oaths: esp. in so help me God, the customary formula in a solemn oath; and in God help him (them, etc.) , often a parenthetical exclamation of pity for the helpless condition of the person spoken of. Also ellipt. so help me, and as a variant so help me bob.

"help," then, would be, as the OED says, present subjunctive, hence no agreement.  The subject verb inversion would, I think, be due to the initial adverb "so."  We get such inversion regularly with negative adverbs, as in "Never had I seen one before," but it feels a bit archaic with "so," and I think it is archaic.  What's odd is that the SVI also moves the subject "God" beyond the object "me."  I don't have an explanation for that.

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University