From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Hancock, Craig G [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:54 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: grammar question/adverb or adjective

Herb,
    I like very much the idea of using "-ing form" as a term, in part because it clearly designates a form and then leaves separate the description of its functions. The argument for "present participle" might be that it is (was?) in widespread use, but you immediately have to explain that it is independent of tense and present time.
   What would you do with what has historically been called "past participle?" In most cases, it's formally identical to past tense form, in some cases not. It's hard to call it an -ed or -en form in the same simple way.

Craig

Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 23:02:21 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]

I can think of some people who are smoking hot.

And speaking of degree modifiers, I wonder what the origin is of "brand" in "brand new." Are there other degree adverbs that modify only one particular adjective?

Nice to have this list back from hiatus.

Dick

On Jan 14, 2013, at 10:10 PM, Scott Woods <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear List,

In the sentence "The sun is usually blazing hot," how would you analyze "blazing"?

Thanks,
Scott
To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/