What this discussion demonstrates is that simple rules are not always quite
so simple, and that conceptual understanding trumps a literal application
of rules.

The simple rule is: "A verb must agree in number with the head noun of the
subject."

Taken literally, we'd have to say "an estimated 210,000 *gallons *a day *are
*coming" [we also wouldn't be able to use "an"] and "a *slew *of officials *has
*been exposed." But in the former we are not picturing individual gallons
but a mass of oil. The reverse is true in the latter, where we see
individuals, not a mass.

We can illustrate this notion with the following sentences, where a change
in the verb's number alters meaning:

     1. Six glasses of wine is bad.
     2. Six glasses of wine are bad.

The first, we're thinking an overindulgence resulting in inebriation; the
second, a critique at a wine tasting.

Dick