Craig,

There has been a semantic shift with "excites ... to."  In earlier
examples, "excites" is used as a synonym for "causes," with no necessary
sense of pleasurable stimulation:

   - A grateful mind excites me to reveal His sov'reign bounty, and attempt
   a tale Of dear remembrance. [William Wilkie, *Epigoniad*, 1792]
   - I should think it time lost to translate any of them; and only a sense
   of duty excites me to read them. [George Smith, *The Life of William
   Carey, D.D: Shoemaker and Missionary*, 1802]
   - But the cause which excites me to write is this — My greatest
   pleasure, through life, has been the perusal of any extraordinary
   narratives of fact. [from *Blackwood's Magazine*, 1827]

Examples from contemporary writing demonstrate the shift, with "excites to"
necessarily implying joyful arousal:

   - Seeing all that the Lord has done in my life over these years only
   excites me to see what he does seven years from now. [from the McLean Bible
   Church web site]
   - Blog entry shall be about what excites you, a participant, to come to
   Iligan or what others should be excited about to come to Iligan City. [from
   rules for a contest]
   - Your hair, skin, lips, skin touch / Everything about you just / Invites
   me, excites me / To wanna see you happy, girl. [lyric from B5's "How You
   Not Gonna"]

Dick