Thanks Dick and Craig--great answers as always.  You guys and ATEG continue to be a great resource!
John

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 9:15 AM, Hancock, Craig G <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

John,

    For fairly extensive coverage of this, see Halliday and Matthiessen, An Introduction to Functional Grammar, 3rd edition, roughly pages 287-290.

   This is probably a frame of reference not shared by many on the list. But Halliday distinguishes between transitive/intransitive pairs (The tourist hunted the lion, the tourist hunted) and non-ergative/ergative pairs (Mary cooked the rice for two hours/ The rice cooked for two hours. )

    I agree with Dick that “the tomatoes grew” would be intransitive because the tomatoes are growing of their own volition, which is not true of the rice.

   The nail tore the cloth/ The cloth tore. I spilled the milk/ The milk spilled. The sun dried up the fields/ The fields dried up. I broke the mirror/ The mirror broke into a hundred pieces. These are non-ergative/ergative pairs.

        In each case, the one indispensable element is called the medium. In these non-ergative/ergative pairs, the medium is capable of being object or subject without the clause being passive.

   Halliday goes on to say that these are increasingly widespread in English and part of a “complex process of semantic change” that, among other things, tends to “emphasize the textual function” over the “experiential.” That might just be a way of saying that we know full well that clothes don’t tear and milk doesn’t spill and fields don’t dry up and rice doesn’t cook of their own volition, but we can obscure agency when we construct sentences about them. When we say “the tomatoes grew” (intransitive) we are calling attention to the fact that tomatoes are agents of their own growing. When we say “the rice cooked,” we are attending to the rice while  connoting that it is a medium, but not an agent  of its own change.

    I should say, again, that this is the view expressed within systemic functional grammar. It probably makes more sense within that framework than it would independently.

Craig

  • #1 is obviously a standard present progressive SVO.  Is #2 just an intransitive form of "to sell"?
  • Are there other examples like this or is this idiosyncratic to "sell"?

Just thought of another possible candidate:

  • John is growing cauliflower.
  • The cauliflower is growing bigger every day.

Thanks,

John