Cool. I’m itching to try it. My guess is that either the bull or the hunter become the center of the story. What about the shooting or the shot? “The shot that killed the bull…” “The shooting of the bull…” Maybe that adds too much. One game I like to play is focused on the fact that pretty much any part of a statement (including the whole statement) can become the focus of another sentence. It’s an easy shift to talk about the contexts in which those choices would be most effective.

Craig

From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Stahlke, Herbert
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2013 10:07 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Teaching known-new contract

An exercise I've talked about before on this list also addresses the known-new contract.  Take a simple affirmative active declarative sentence with a transitive verb and a direct object, and offer it to the class in three forms:  the active, the passive, and the agentless passive.  Then have the students, in small groups, write a story using on of the sentences they've been assigned as the final sentence of the story.  You can introduce this with discussion of known-new and afterwards you can discuss with them what grammatical and content decisions they had to make to meet the known-new demands of their sentence and story.  I've used the sentence, "The hunter shot the bull," and its variants.

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University