There are two possible interpretations:

1)   ...mansion [...man] [born...], where both phrases are modifiers of
"mansion"
2)   ...mansion [ [...man] [born...] ], where the first phrase modifies
"mansion" and the second modifies [man]

Both are grammatical, but grammaticality counts for little if the result is
ambiguous and unclear. The result here is actually worse than ambiguous.
Because "born" is generally used with people and not buildings, most
readers are likely to assume the second reading, i.e., that Clay was born
in 1849. Since this is not true (he was born in 1777), the writer has done
a poor job indeed. If he had used "built" instead of "born," the problem
would have been less likely to have arisen.

Best holiday wishes.
Dick