Linda,

I agree that the two starred sentences are bad, but perhaps they are more
awkward than ungrammatical. "This is" as the opening may be to blame. I
find the following to be fine:

     The mansion of the most hated man in America, built in 1849, is now
celebrated as a world-class art museum.

Here's one with not one but two nouns separating the participial phrase
from the noun it modifies:

    The famous statue of Shakespeare in Central Park, commissioned in 1864,
was not erected until 1872.

I have no trouble with that one either.

Dick